On Sunday, 10th October, following the OETZ TROPHY extreme kayak championships, the Free Rivers Fund will be hosting the Rivers Day at the Ötztaler Ache.
We would like to use the opportunity with so many kayakers and whitewater enthusiasts from all over the world flocking to our homerun to get as many people as possible interested in river conservation! We want to use this day to not only celebrate the winners of the race but dedicate it to rivers and their protection all over the world. The Rivers Day would like to invite you to learn more about our rivers, to exchange ideas and to experience nature together. The framework of the OETZ TROPHY, with so many international athletes, visitors and whitewater enthusiasts, makes it possible to look beyond the Alps to the rivers of other countries and continents altogether. We want to use this opportunity to get together and to get inspired, to inform and to network – we want to get to know you and hear about rivers and people fighting to protect them from all over the world.
Programme Rivers Day Sunday, 10th of October 2021 10:30 am – 03:00 pm
- Information and brainstroming about river conservation: We want to get to know you – and we want you to get to know us! We are looking for your ideas and input on how to protect rivers and are there for any questions you have for us!
- River Mapping with the River Collective – the River Collective Team will paint a giant map with rivers all over the world with you and collect data and information on pristine rivers, on rivers altered by human activities and lost rivers that we can no longer enjoy. Tell them about your river!
- Together with a river expert we will hold a Workshop on the importance of rivers in the Alps and world wide and how you can contribute to their protection! Join at 11:00am .
- Join the for Group Paddle down the Lower Ötz – we provide the shuttle! We will meet at 12:30pm at the Put-in of Lower Ötz. Let’s enjoy the river together!
- Best Photo Competion: we are looking for your favourite river picture – not kayaking related! Show us your favourite spot, river landscape, animals, plants – whatever you think makes a river special. All photos will be judged by a professional jury! Everyone who is not a professional photographer is invited to hand in one photo. The main prize is a kayak course in Tyrol with SOURCE TO SEA – they’ll show you Tyrolean rivers, no matter if you are a beginner or a pro! Come to the Free Rivers Fund stand near the Race Base and hand in your photo until 2pm!
Time table Rivers Day
|10:30 am – 3:00 pm
|Information and brainstorming on river conservation with the Free Rivers Fund
|10:30 am – 3:00 pm
|River mapping with the River Collective
|10:30 am – 2:00 pm
|Submission of pictures for the photo competition
|11:00 am – 12:30 pm
|River protection workshop with the Free Rivers Fund
|Group paddle down the Lower Ötz
|Put-in Lower Ötz
|Award ceremony photo competition